Would you support a zombie uprising?

Friday, January 22, 2010

Story the Second: Mouse

I return you now to our detestable second year at PCU. Shortly after Gabriel had his bucket taken, these events transpired for those of us in the room down the hall. I had set up a cardboard box with a towel over it a combination bedside table and printer table. I awoke, for reasons I do no longer recall, and thought I saw something moving in that direction. I turn my head, and find a pair of very small, very red eyes glowing in the general direction of the table. I found and lit a small flashlight, and determined that they belonged to a small white mouse. The mouse was pondering me - from my printer's paper tray. I stared at the mouse. The mouse stared at me. After a few seconds mutual contemplation, the mouse turned and whisked itself away into the innards of my printer. I addressed my sleeping roommate, who Neko informs me shall be named Schmendrick. "Shmen...", I said. He made a sound. In comic books I believe it is generally spelled 'unnnngh'.
"Shmen!" I repeated.
The responding grunt had the rising intonation of a question, "UnNNgh?". I took this to mean that he was as alert as he was going to get and what could I possibly be waking him for?
"We have a mouse." I told him.
"unnnghu?"
"A -mouse-. As in 'squeek squeek'. It's in my printer. "
"Uhn."
I gave up and told him about it in the morning. He remembered nothing.
For the remainder of the year, the mouse lived in my printer. I would see it infrequently, hear it occasionally, and refrain from printing things, so as not to get mouse guts on my papers. I like to think it was hiding out with us because we were the only sane ones in that benighted house. If I were a mouse, it's what I would do.

No comments:

Post a Comment